On January 15, 1827 two Patrician Brothers, Paul O’Connor and James Walsh, took up residence in Lombard Street and set up the Monastery School. The attendance on that first day was 300 boys, many of whom had little interest in learning because they were poor and hungry. So the Brothers set up The Poor Boy’s Breakfast Institute in May 1830. It continued seven days a week, 365 days a year for many years after the founders time. The breakfast consisted of porridge with molasses or treacle, and during the Famine, they fed 1,000 boys every day. The ‘Old Mon’ became a vital cog in education in Galway.
Galway City Council defends €250,000 spend on accessible parklets - Connacht Tribune
connachttribune.ie - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from connachttribune.ie Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
Local unsung heroes highlighted on Bonham Quay billboards
galwaybayfm.ie - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from galwaybayfm.ie Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.