Premium Content
Subscriber only
IPSWICH mayor Teresa Harding used the Deputy Prime Minister’s visit to the city this week to pressure the Federal Government to come to the table to progress what is being labelled as the council’s number one priority project.
Ipswich City Council committed to spending $500,000 on the detailed options analysis for the Ipswich to Springfield rail corridor last month, subject to the Federal Government stumping up $1 million.
The State Government committed $1 million in the October state election campaign but that too was subject to a matching contribution from Scott Morrison’s Government. The Ipswich Central to Springfield Central public transport corridor.
Premium Content
Subscriber only
IPSWICH’s redeveloped Nicholas Street Precinct has neared closer to completion following its latest installation of indigenous artwork.
Created by local artists Lincoln Austin, Aunty Kim Ah Sam and Kyra Manktelow, the trio on Friday revealed their stunning pieces to public eyes at Tulmur Place.
Mayor Teresa Harding and Deputy Mayor Marnie Doyle also joined in on the festivities.
The installations include hanging fish traps, a family of platypus sculptures, an indigenous trade routes ceiling mural and a large sculpture.
Mr Austin said part of his inspiration for the sculpture came from the 2011 floods which devastated Ipswich.
Premium Content
Subscriber only
THE head of Ipswich City Council’s infrastructure and environment department has suddenly left the organisation just a day after he was grilled by councillors over the delay of major projects.
Infrastructure and environment general manager Charlie Dill left his role on Friday after seven years with the council.
He had served as acting CEO for five months over 2018 and 2019.
A council spokesman said he left by mutual agreement. Ipswich City Council mayor Teresa Harding, CEO David Farmer and CFO Jeffrey Keech.
The council’s co-ordination and performance general manager Sean Madigan has been seconded into the role.
Premium Content
Subscriber only
A FAULTY stormwater pipe has been identified as the cause of a large sinkhole which has this week consumed parts of a street in Ipswich Central.
Ipswich City Council was forced to limit motorist access through the typically high-traffic area as workers undertook urgent repairs to the site.
A council spokesman confirmed the team had first been made aware of the safety hazard about 11am on Monday morning.
Crews were promptly dispatched to the scene shortly after, with traffic control reportedly in place by midday. Ipswich City Council cordons of parts of the street surrounding the sinkhole. Pic: Cr Marnie Doyle