Live Breaking News & Updates on Los Alamos Ranch School|Page 13

Stay updated with breaking news from Los alamos ranch school. Get real-time updates on events, politics, business, and more. Visit us for reliable news and exclusive interviews.

Los Alamos Historical Society Offers Free Training For Volunteers


Los Alamos Historical Society Offering Volunteer Training
Los Alamos Historical Society News:
With tourist season in full swing, the Los Alamos Historical Society and Museum are seeking new volunteers for a variety of positions.
A training session focusing on the community’s history and historic district will be offered 4-5 p.m. Thursdays, May 13, May 20, May 27, June 3 and June 10.
Participants will gather in the lobby of Fuller Lodge at 4 p.m. for each Thursday training session.
The training includes engaging discussions on Los Alamos, covering the homestead era on the Pajarito Plateau, the Los Alamos Ranch School, the Manhattan Project, and postwar Los Alamos. There also is an emphasis on visitor engagement and customer service throughout. ....

New York , United States , Hans Bethe House , Todd Nickols , Los Alamos , Los Alamos Historical Society News , Los Alamos Ranch School , Museum Shop , Los Alamos History Museum , Los Alamos Historical Society , Historical Society , Fuller Lodge , Pajarito Plateau , Manhattan Project , Bethe House , Harold Agnew Cold War , Romero Cabin , Ancestral Pueblo , Volunteer Coordinator , Museum Shop Manager Todd Nickols , புதியது யார்க் , ஒன்றுபட்டது மாநிலங்களில் , ஹான்ஸ் ஆக இரு வீடு , லாஸ் அலமோஸ் , லாஸ் அலமோஸ் வரலாற்று சமூகம் செய்தி , லாஸ் அலமோஸ் பண்ணையில் பள்ளி ,

Snyder: Oldest Continuously Used Building In Los Alamos


Snyder: Oldest Continuously Used Building In Los Alamos
The Guest Cottage, 2018. Photo by Todd Nickols
By SHARON SNYDER
Los Alamos Historical Society
For more than a century, the oldest continuously used building in Los Alamos has served at different times as an infirmary, a guest cottage, living quarters, a shelter for skunks, and a museum and gift shop. As we might expect, a building that has existed on the plateau for that long has stories to tell!
Referred to as the Guest Cottage for most of its existence, the building can be documented as far back as 1918 in records left by the Los Alamos Ranch School (LARS). ....

New York , United States , United Kingdom , Leslie Groves , Heather Mcclenahan , Genevieve Ranger , Todd Nickols , Ralph Carlisle Smith , Richard Tolman , John Gaw Meem , Los Alamos , Craig Martin , Ernest Titterton , Robert Martin , British Mission , Courtesy Los Alamos Historical Society Archive , Los Alamos Historical Society , Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory , Los Alamos Ranch School , Waterman Inc , National Research Defense Council , Fuller Lodge , Guest Cottage , Manhattan Project , World War , Los Alamos Scientific ,

Snyder: Chief Mechanics House Saw Many Changes


Snyder: Chief Mechanics House Saw Many Changes
By SHARON SNYDER
Los Alamos Historical Society
The oldest continuously lived-in house in Los Alamos was built on the Los Alamos Ranch School campus in 1925 and was known as the Chief Mechanics House.
It is still the neighbor of the old Guest Cottage that today houses our History Museum.
In the first years of the ranch school, three brothers from Española came to work on the Pajarito Plateau. Jim Womelsduff hired on as the school’s wrangler and ranch foreman, responsible for the entire physical plant buildings, roads, water system, power plant, and power lines. ....

New York , United States , United Kingdom , Richard Feynman , Ralph Carlisle Smith , Gerald Tyler , Carroll Tyler , Cerro Grande , Rudolph Peierls , Lady Chadwick , Colleen Olingers , Niels Bohr , Klaus Fuchs , Sally Womelsduff , Bob Cristy , Otto Frisch , Sharon Snyder , James Chadwick , Robert Bacher , Los Alamos , Jean Bacher , Jim Womelsduff , Bonnie Baker , British Mission , Los Alamos Historical Society , Atomic Energy Commission ,

Snyder: From A Pointed Roof To Living Room Of Scientists


Snyder: From A Pointed Roof To Living Room Of Scientists
-
7:20 am
By Sharon Snyder
Los Alamos Historical Society
In the first three years of the Los Alamos Ranch School (LARS), the masters and boys all lived in a large, two-story log building known as the Big House. It contained rooms for students and masters, sleeping porches for the boys, a small library, classrooms, a kitchen and dining area, and a common room with a large fireplace.
Perhaps with an eye to the future, LARS Director A.J. Connell had a square wooden structure built to the west of the Big House c.1920. The plain frame building couldn’t have been called aesthetic, but it offered quarters for two masters, each room with space for a desk and dresser and a bed on a sleeping porch. The new accommodations were soon referred to as the Pyramid, an appropriate name for a building with a four-sided pointed roof. The masters who moved into the Pyramid gained privacy but left b ....

United States , New York , Betty Walen , Jerry Kellog , Harry Walen , Norman Ramsay , Stan Ulam , Kay Manley , Lyman Parratt , John Gaw Meem , Sharon Snyder , Cecil Wirth , Betty Lilienthal , Colleen Olinger , Fayette Curtis , Kenneth Bainbridge , John Manley , Los Alamos Ranch School , Courtesy Los Alamos Historical Society Archive , Los Alamos Historical Society , Women Army Corps , Master Fermor Church , Big House , Fermor Church , Peggy Pond , Headmaster Fayette Curtis ,