This photograph of Andover Grammar School was taken soon after it opened at its new site off Weyhill Road in 1925, the first time in its history that girls were eligible for entry. There were at least three successive, earlier schools, all near St Mary’s church, the latest of these being the museum buildings still standing today. Traditionally, the first school was established in 1569 but the evidence suggests that it was a little later. John Hanson’s will of 1571 bequeaths a sum in trust to pay the salary of £16 for a schoolmaster to run a free school, yet to be erected.