Relief has washed over restaurant owners with a “very good vibe” felt across the sector, as diners flock to eat out after weeks of having to make do with takeaway food and home deliveries.
Restaurants reopened last Monday, two months after the country went into shutdown amid the worst wave of COVID-19 infections. The move is the first in a series of steps in the country’s reopening plan for the catering and accommodation industry.
Association of Catering Establishments (ACE) spokesperson Matthew Pace said there was “no comparison” to the earlier reopening of the sector after the 2020 closure, describing the feeling among restaurants right now as a “very good vibe”.
BTI Management Ltd funnelled nearly €600,000 through a client account opened by Brian Tonna and Karl Cini for Katrin Bondin Carter, a court has heard
At least €200,000 were channelled through Zenith Finance, formerly MFSP, from British Virgin Islands offshore firms owned by former OPM chief of staff Keith Schembri and Nexia BT s Brian Tonna, a court heard on Wednesday.
This detail emerged during court proceedings against former Zenith directors Matthew Pace and Lorraine Falzon who on Wednesday were back in court as the compilation of evidence against them and the company they represented, continued.
Both are pleading not guilty to a series of financial crimes, including money laundering and forgery of documents and have been granted bail pending proceedings.
A court-appointed accountancy expert tasked with administering and preserving the assets of Zenith Finance Limited, presented his findings on Wednesday, however, his overview was banned from publication in light of sensitive information it contained.
Updated 3.30pm with MHRA reaction
Restaurateurs are hopeful that today’s reopening will see diners rushing to eat out, even if establishments have to be shut by 5pm, according to the Association of Catering Establishments (ACE).
Noting that “people are desperate to go out”, ACE spokesperson and restaurateur Matthew Pace insisted that the planned distribution of vouchers is a “much-needed cash flow injection”.
Prime Minister Robert Abela said on Sunday the vouchers would start being issued on June 7.
The roll-out of similar vouchers last year spanned weeks and delays had concerned business owners who were eager to get the sector going again.
Zenith Finance owner Matthew Pace in court over money laundering charges
Compilation of evidence against Zenith Finance owner Matthew Pace and director Lorraine Falzon continues
27 April 2021, 8:58am
by Matthew Agius
Matthew Vella 10:09 AG lawyer is Andrea Zammit. The court is now thrashing out the date for the next sitting; the Court insists that the clock is ticking.
Matthew Vella 10:07 Lawyer Claudette Fenech from the Malta Business Registry presents a certified copy of Zenith’s registration certificate as MFSP and other documents relating to the present day and the involvements of Falzon and Pace in the company. There was no change in the UBOs of the company. However, Pace and Falzon resigned from Zenith in 2021. The witness also presents documentation about their involvement in other companies. The witness steps off the stand.