For decades, Betty Montoyaâs house in Santa Fe was full of people, music, food and love on Christmas Day.
Family members, in-laws, in-laws of in-laws and others would gather for a celebratory feast and music fest, with folk songs, holiday tunes and, of course, â
Feliz Navidad.â
Often, the group would number 100 or more.
âItâs maddening,â said Montoya, a native Santa Fean and retired teacher. âSome of them would end up on the patio where we had an outdoor fireplace.â
But not this year.
Montoya and her family are splintering into small groups for the holiday â wearing masks, maintaining social distancing and doing everything they can to stay safe.
By Susan Montoya Bryan and Cedar Attanasio, Associated Press
Around 15,000 residents previously ineligible for pandemic stimulus checks have started receiving payments from the state. The group includes immigrants in the country without work authorization.
Officials with the New Mexico Human Services Department said the $465 relief payments began arriving this week via direct deposit or checks.
The Legislature allocated $5 million to the fund for those who hadn t received federal payments in April. Agency officials say they were able to identify an additional $2 million on top of that.
Drawing from unspent federal relief funds, New Mexico s relief package was part of a $330 million appropriation that included additional money for New Mexicans already on unemployment or whose benefits had run out. Funding also was earmarked for more COVID-19 testing and support for food banks.
Rev up your engines: This yearâs Canyon Road Farolito Walk on Christmas Eve will be tailored for cruising, not strolling.
City officials said the change will allow spectators to enjoy the decades-old holiday tradition â in which businesses and residents on Canyon Road and surrounding streets light thousands of farolitos â while maintaining pandemic-safe practices in the comfort of their vehicles.
âEveryone is looking for creative ways to keep these traditions alive,â said Kristine Mihelcic, the cityâs constituent and council services director.
The eventâs shift to a drive-thru viewing comes as New Mexico officials continue to ban large public gatherings to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Farolito walk goes on four wheels santafenewmexican.com - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from santafenewmexican.com Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.