UPDATED: Infrastructure funding announced for waterfront festival area tbnewswatch.com - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from tbnewswatch.com Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
The Muskeg Express is expected to be operational by late July, according to city officials. (FILE)
THUNDER BAY – The rides at Chippewa Park will not operate this summer, but the Muskeg Express at Centennial Park should be good to go by the end of July.
Cory Halvorsen, manager of parks and open spaces for the City of Thunder Bay, said staff usually spends time in April and May getting the Chippewa Rides ready to go. But with no indication at the time that amusement parks would be operational in summer, the work was shelved.
“It’s unfortunate. People value the rides,” Halvorsen said. “That’s why we have them. But we had to be realistic about what we could do back in April and May.”
City council will consider a recommendation to renew the centennial botanical conservatory on Monday. (File photo)
THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay’s city council will consider a recommendation to approve the renewal of the centennial botanical conservatory on Monday, putting $1.4 million on the table and looking to upper levels of government to cover at least another $2.5 million.
The project’s total cost is now estimated at between $3.96 and $4.67 million, up from a previous estimate of $3.1 million, said city parks and open spaces manager Cory Halvorsen.
That investment would allow the city to renovate and reopen the conservatory’s long-shuttered side wings, replace glass panels and a boiler, and introduce an event room that could be booked for meetings and events including weddings.
Recreational boating returns to marina Saturday tbnewswatch.com - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from tbnewswatch.com Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
Whalen tug stable after taking on water, listing in April, city says
A historic, City of Thunder Bay tug boat that was found to be taking on water last month has been stabilized, but will remain closed to the public for the time being.
Social Sharing
CBC News ·
Posted: May 21, 2021 7:00 AM ET | Last Updated: May 21
A bilge pump is being installed on the James Whalen tug to prevent future accumulation of water inside the vessel. The tug was found taking on water and listing in April, but has since been stabilized.(Kris Ketonen/CBC News)
A historic, City of Thunder Bay tug boat that was found to be taking on water last month has been stabilized, but will remain closed to the public for the time being.