The personal information of approximately 40 million U.K. voters was exposed to hackers for more than a year after the Electoral Commission fell victim to a “complex cyberattack.” The Electoral Commission, the watchdog responsible for overseeing elections in the U.K., said in a statement on Wednesday that it first identified suspicious activity on its network in October 2022, but later confirmed that unnamed “hostile actors” had first accessed its systems over a year earlier in August 2021. When asked by TechCrunch why the organization has only just notified those impacted, Electoral Commission spokesperson Andreaa Ghita said there were “several steps” that the Commission needed to take before it could make the incident public.
Chief exec apologises, but significant gaps remain in what is known about the attackers, the extent of the attack and why it took the commission so long to inform voters about it
A five-year-old flaw in Fortinet SSL VPNs remains one of the world's most widely exploited vulnerabilities. So warn cybersecurity officials across the U.S. and its