The annual tournament of the Northern Minnesota Firemen's Tournament association (western division) was held in Bemidji during the week of the Fourth of July in 1910. The Bemidji Commercial Club recommended that the races and contests be arranged so that the visiting firemen could camp here and take an outing while participating in the tournament.
Early area veterans rest in Bemidji s Civil War burial plot bemidjipioneer.com - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from bemidjipioneer.com Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
Bemidji experienced a tremendous growth spurt between 1900 and 1910. The next decade was slower in growth.
The population only increased from 5,099 to 7,086, and that probably had a lot to do with the fact that Nymore was annexed in 1916. During this decade, Bemidji’s leaders invested money and manpower to work on the city’s infrastructure. Until World War I, there were great strides in the improvement of water, sewer, bridges and roads. After that, a shortage of building materials slowed progress until about 1921.
Bemidji had a very different look from today or even the prior decade. Several sections of the downtown area were bare in 1914. All the lots facing First Street between Bemidji and Beltrami Avenues were empty. Only a few businesses existed between Bemidji and Beltrami on Second Street.
100 years ago today the first Bemidji High School was destroyed by fire
The town’s first high school was built in 1909 at a cost of $50,000, and opened in 1910. It was located between Sixth and Seventh Streets on America and Irvine Avenues, now the site of the Northland Apartments. 7:30 am, Jan. 16, 2021 ×
The aftermath of the Jan. 16, 1921 fire that destroyed Bemidji High School. It was built in 1909 at a cost of $50,000, and opened in 1910. Photo courtesy of Beltrami County History Center
BEMIDJI The three-story Bemidji High School building was only 10 years old when it was destroyed by fire 100 years ago today, on a frigid Sunday, Jan. 16, 1921.