He said: To have the city starting to reopen is positive from an economic perspective. We know there has been an increase in public transport use but not to the same level as what it was pre-pandemic.
The executive director added that numbers of vehicles remained high across the day, rather than just at traditional peak morning and early evening times, which reflected people s flexible working arrangements post-lockdown.
Minimal traffic on Castle Market Street in Norwich. Picture: Danielle Booden
- Credit: Archant
David Jordan, marketing manager at First Eastern Counties buses, said; “With schools, retail, hospitality and other businesses opening up, we are noticing an increase in traffic at busy times of the day as well as extra demand across many of our services, as we continue to adhere to the government guidelines on social distancing.
Is Prince of Wales Road set to transform again after lockdown?
- Credit: Archant Library
Prince of Wales Road has enjoyed several incarnations - the grand entrance to the Fine City and even Norwich’s financial centre.
Norwich Streets P Prince of Wales Road looking towards Thorpe Station from Agricultural Hall Plain
But the area once labelled carnage by Jeremy Kyle is now shaking off the criticisms undergoing a subtle transformation.
Over the course of lockdown new independent cafes, restaurants and hairdressers have opened in the street with former empty sites renovated for residential use.
The most recent example is Piccolini, the new Italian cafe which will soon be offering al fresco dining in tables and chairs on the pavement.
Is Norwich Prince of Wales Road undergoing a transformation? edp24.co.uk - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from edp24.co.uk Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
Published:
3:11 PM April 18, 2021
Glen Palmer is pictured on the right outside Carrow Road during Norwich City s fixture with Bournemouth
- Credit: Victoria Pertusa
Norwich City s promotion is great news not just for fans, but for the city as a whole according to business leaders.
The Canaries will return to English football s top-flight next season, just 12 months after being relegated, after promotion was sealed, despite a 3-1 home defeat to Bournemouth on Saturday night, courtesy of other results earlier in the day.
Norwich players coming out to acknowledge fans after Premier League promotion was secured.
- Credit: Lee Freeman
Callum Smith, left, and Daniel Stevenson, right celebrate promotion outside Carrow Road.
If the government s roadmap goes to plan, people will be able to visit friends and restaurants indoors - but until then the focus will remain on al fresco dining. We are really excited to be getting back to it, he said. We are fully booked for the next five weeks, which is pretty amazing.
He said there would inevitably be some people who didn t turn up for bookings, and said they were holding back some tables for people who just wanted to walk in. All this time we ve just been itching to get back to business, in a safe way when everybody was comfortable, he said.