Article content
The city’s de facto executive committee, chaired by Mayor Jim Watson, wants the integrity commissioner to investigate journalist sources after information in a confidential memo revealing the nine-figure claims related to the Rideau Street sinkhole was leaked to this newspaper.
A motion presented by Coun. Eli El-Chantiry on Tuesday and fully endorsed by the finance and economic development committee directs the conduct watchdog to probe the “release” of the memo, and El-Chantiry told his colleagues that the police should be called if necessary.
We apologize, but this video has failed to load.
Try refreshing your browser, or
Author of the article: Peter Hum
Publishing date: May 13, 2021 • 4 hours ago • 3 minute read • Zachary Boissinot poses with a sign at his A Foot Above Fitness gym in Ottawa Wednesday. Boissinot says he will fight the $4000-plus fines he has received and contends that gyms should be essential businesses because they help keep people healthy during a health crisis. Photo by Tony Caldwell /Postmedia
Article content
Two Ottawa gyms, A Foot Above Fitness in the east end and 613 Lift in Nepean, are doubling down on their efforts to stay open despite the provincial pandemic restrictions that have ordered them to close.
EF-1 tornado confirmed in Orleans, Ont., frightening footage
Digital Writers
lundi, 3 juin 2019 à 07:45 - An EF-1 tornado has been confirmed in Orleans, Ontario with frightening footage of the severe storms roaring through.
In a weekend that produced severe thunderstorms with tornado watches and warnings issued across parts of southern and eastern Ontario, a preliminary low end EF-1 tornado has been confirmed in Orleans, the eastern Ottawa suburb located along the Ottawa River. This rating would suggest peak winds of 135 km/h. A tornado developed about 10 km southeast of Gatineau Airport at about 5:54 pm EDT Sunday evening, said Environment Canada in the storm summary. This tornado was reported to have moved east along the Ottawa River before coming ashore on the Ontario side of the river and causing wind damage in a number of localities.
Article content
Morgan reported that the design of seven Stadler FLIRT trains is complete and manufacturing has started in Switzerland. Delivery of the new Trillium Line trains is expected to start this year, Morgan said.
Morgan has previously said the delivery of the Stadler trains is at the top of his watch list in assessing the Trillium Line schedule.
As for the Confederation Line extensions to Algonquin College and Moodie Drive in the west and Trim Road in the east, Morgan reported that East-West Connectors (Kiewit and Vinci) indicated “some schedule pressures” that have since been “resolved.” The handovers are still scheduled in 2024 for the eastern leg and 2025 for the western legs, though Morgan’s memo doesn’t offer exact dates.
Article content
The parent company of the “Dunn’s Famous” deli-restaurant group has been awarded about $500,000 for trademark infringement by five operators, including four in Ottawa.
In a ruling in January, Federal Court Justice Richard Southcott awarded the damages to Montreal-based Dunn’s Famous Holdings International Inc., the owner of the well-known trademark, which dates to 1927 and the original deli on Ste. Catherine Street in Montreal.
We apologize, but this video has failed to load.
Try refreshing your browser, or Parent company of Dunn s Famous deli awarded $500K in trademark breach Back to video
The judgment said Stanley and Ina (Dunn) Devine the daughter of founder Myer Dunn, who died in 1993 entered into a number of agreements between 2007 and 2018 “purporting to provide licences” to third parties without the authority of Famous Holdings International Inc., the sole trademark holder.