Published:
3:24 PM January 8, 2021
Havering Library and all others in the borough are closing this evening until mid-February in line with the nationwide lockdown.
- Credit: Ken Mears
Havering Council has announced that its libraries will close at the end of today, (Friday January 8) and will remain closed until at least mid-February.
Since November, libraries have been open for collection or return of books, or for pre-booked essential computer use, but this will cease due to the new closure.
Fines have been suspended since March 2020 so residents do not need to worry about late fees for books they still have at home.
A woman in her sixties became the first person in Havering to die of Covid-19. Queen’s Hospital said she had suffered significant other health conditions.
But as the country went into lockdown , the crisis started to bring out the best in our communities. Volunteers teamed up to help those in need through Mutual Aid groups, and restaurants forced to close delivered food instead to NHS workers.
April
A plea was made to nail bars, beauty salons and tattoo artists to donate their protective equipment for NHS staff after the coronavirus outbreak created a national shortage. Havering Council called on the businesses to either donate masks and gloves or sell them at cost price.
Former Havering councillor Keith Wells died on December 17
- Credit: Bob Perry
A former Havering politician who was “respected across the political divide” and an “all-round lovely bloke” has died.
Keith Wells, who was a Conservative councillor in Gooshays ward between 2006 and 2014, died aged 75 on December 17.
Until his death, he was the president of the Hornchurch and Upminster Conservative Association and leaves behind his wife Linda and her two children, Barry and Helen.
Despite losing his seat in the 2014 local elections, Mr Wells remained active in local politics for the remainder of his life and his former colleagues and friends were quick to pay tribute to him.
Rhys Richard Ngahiwi Warren during his 2017 trial.
A man who shot four Armed Offenders Squad members in a house near Kawerau has failed to convince the Supreme Court that he is being unlawfully detained. Rhys Richard Ngahiwi Warren, 31, was found guilty at trial, in the High Court in Hamilton, in 2017 on two charges of attempted murder, three of using a firearm against a law enforcement officer and one of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. Four officers – Constable Regan Mauheni, Constable Damian White, Constable Andrew Flinn and Sergeant Logan Marsh – were all shot by Warren on March 9, 2016, during the siege on Onepu Springs Road, about 5 kilometres from Kawerau in the Bay of Plenty.
Published:
4:19 PM December 22, 2020
Updated:
10:39 AM December 23, 2020
Two-thirds of hospital deaths in Havering were Covid-related in the last week of November, official figures have revealed.
- Credit: Archant
The Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) is set to spend Christmas battling an overwhelming surge in Covid-19 cases.
NHS figures show the trust exceeded 300 beds occupied by coronavirus patients on Tuesday, December 15, for the first time.
There were 304 Covid-19 patients at BHRUT’s hospitals – up 28 per cent on the week before, when there had been 238.
The following day, December 16, Havering Council’s head of bereavement and registration services Louise Roast said staff were “exhausted” and “inundated with medical calls for death certificates”.